Courses and Activities
Simonsbath House Outdoor Centre, set in 4 acres of grounds, provides a comprehensive range of activities taught by qualified and experienced staff in an exciting and challenging environment. Each programme is tailored to meet individual needs and abilities within the group.
We actively support the delivery of the curriculum and assist all groups with their programme of personal and social development and delivery of the citizenship agenda.
We encourage students to learn through the outdoor experience and to discover more about themselves, their peers and the adults working with them. At the end of their stay they will feel a sense of personal and group achievement as a result of their visit, in addition to their curriculum achievements.
Groups can opt for
outdoor adventurous or environmental activities or a combination of the two. Our experienced staff will be pleased to assist in developing a programme suitable for your group.
Courses include –
Outdoor and Adventurous Activities (OAA) in support of the Physical Education Curriculum
• Climbing traverse wall and boulder
• Climbing wall
• Tree climb
• Gladiator & Zig Zag High Ropes Challenge
• Indiana Jones Bridge and Zip Line
• Problem solving challenge activities
• Mini assault course
• Mountain biking
• Grass sledging
• Stream scramble
• Woodland exploration with games
• Up and over team challenge wall
• Mapwork, compass and orienteering
• Landbased Raft Race
• Parachute games
• Circus workshop
• Shelter building
• Campcraft skills including camp fire cooking
Days out from the centre can be arranged as part of the residential programme. These will incur an additional charge
• Sailing, canoeing, SUP and raft building at a local venue
• High Ropes activities at a local venue
• Horse riding
• Surfing lesson on Croyde Beach
• Visit to Combe Martin Wildlife Park and/or The Big Sheep Attraction
• Lynmouth Funicular railway ride
Curriculum studies in Science, Geography, History and Environmental Science
• Woodland ecology
• Invertebrate studies
• Rivers and streams including Lynmouth flood disaster
• Rocks and soils
• Weather and seasonal change
• Numeracy, Literacy and the Arts
• Conservation management and food production
We are also able to arrange visits to local attractions from the Centre such as Minehead Steam Railway, National Trust Historic Houses, Lynmouth/Lynton funicular railway and flood disaster museum, Barnstaple Pannier market, Croyde Bay, Woolacombe Bay and The Eden Project (further details of these and other attractions are available on request).
Each activity timetable is planned carefully with the group leader to ensure all course aims and objectives are met. Please see attached sample activity timetable as a guide for a 5-day programme. Equipment and facilities are also available for leaders wishing to run their own environmental activities.
Day visiting groups are welcomed throughout the year. Full day brochure available on request.